THROUGH THE YEARS...

June 30, 2010

FIESTA... Why Not?

"Uli kamo padi, madi sa fiesta..!" I always prod them to. I almost beg at times. I actually uttered these words many times... and still uttering now.

Yes, I almost and always frustrate myself because most of the time my begging words fell on deaf ears... or maybe swept away by wind of disinterest. But don't get me wrong. Many are frustrated either.... many eager voices of our kababayans who always look forward to seeing you out there spend a couple of days here, be with them on the most important occasion of our town..."The Feast of St.James The Greater." Do we actually remember him? I hope.

Time flies so fast, much faster now. Couple of decades back, fiesta celebration had been if not on the top of the list of reasons of spending moments with or going back to our town by most of our kababayans. Many saw to it then that they could be with their families, relatives at least on bisperas to join and enjoy in the preparations for the big day next day. As a kid then, I truly enjoyed watching and sometimes helping in making ibos and suman, more so with our relatives from far flung areas. Hands down, ibos and suman are still if not the only food items most sought after and still being prepared for the fiesta. Fiesta is not complete without them, plus of course the ever famous dinuguan bicol style. These are best savored in our town... with our kababayans, during fiesta. Imagine eating them in a fast food or somewhere else. Would you appreciate them better the way you do during fiesta?

Many reasons to come home, but more reasons to come some other time...they effortless say, always. Imagined reasons always get in the way. I will always understand, we have always understood. But for how long our town must? When we are no longer around to understand you? When we no longer know how to enjoy the fiesta with you? Allow me to imagine, too.

But I am not losing hope. I still breathe. I will always hope. I know St.James will help me out here, will give the way for many of us to once again celebrate with him just like the glorious festivities in yesteryears.

Come home and remember our departed loved ones during "Todos Los Santos." Be with us on Christmas! Come around for the meaningful observance of The Holy Week. But please don't spare the Fiesta.

"Daanison baga padi, madi an hangin sa ato kun ma-fiesta na! Kaya uruli na kamo. Sagot ko an dinuguan na kuruton."

Yes, I will always prepare for you. We will always be ready when you come.

Why wouldn't you? Why not...

No comments: